Little House in Forest Acres

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Wyoming






I know it has been more than a month since my last post. Let me just say that we had a wonderful time in Wyoming. Maybe I should make a list of all the things I enjoyed. I'll start by saying the 80 something degree weather during the daytime and 50 degrees at night was glorious. Debbie, my sister in law, and I walked between 2 and 4 miles every day. I loved the landscape which is so different from things "back east". I have become a bit smitten with the whole "cow girl" image which I am only going to live out by dressing my children like this. Well, I did get some cute boots that I will wear when it cools off around here.
Most of all, I think I enjoyed thinking about the vastness of the West in times past-What it must have been like for the Native Americans 200 years ago, and at the same time what an adventure it was to settle that land for those brave pioneers who left their homes in search of a better life. I don't know if I could survive a winter in Wyoming or Montana, but just a week in the summer was pure bliss. I have always liked the idea of being an outdorsey girl, but 2 things have stood in my way of actually pursuing this: a little bit of make up and a hair dryer. However, I will admit that I really felt more drawn to nature while in Story. Maybe it was the sound of the river, or sleeping with the windows open, or just the romantic draw of a new place, but it was the only place I can say I have truly felt compelled to be outside as much as possible.
Ed enjoyed fishing in the river. The girls spent a lot of time with Ed playing in the water and building a little dam and lake for their Polly Pockets. After the girls went to bed, we played many games of UNO with the whole family. Ed's Aunt Marilyn still lives in Story so we were honored to have several visits with her. The girls were able to play in the same creek Ed and Bill played in when they visited their grandparents as little boys.
Since returning home, we have been finishing up some projects at home and getting ready to start school on Monday. Jenna has BINGO all set up for us to play so I guess you know what I'm doing next.

No comments:

Post a Comment